Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Agent Orange: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

My stepmother started a blog a few days ago regarding my father and his life and struggles after serving during the Vietnam War. He not only has night fears -- he has acted out during his sleep. As a young girl he's told me stories but kept to himself pretty much. Of course, I always wanted to know more and was always curious. Growing up he shared a few of his reels from Vietnam and boy did it look like the men and women who served had a bit of fun. However, I could see the pain in his eyes and the anger in his voice.

My fathers currently coming down with a handful of symptoms that are believed to be related to Agent Orange and his health has deteriorated over the last five years. Giving birth to my son last year I dread the day my father leaves me -- but I am thankful for the moments I have with him and the photos my son will be able to cherish.

My father, Virgil will be 60 years in December and he's currently on a mission to find a few brothers (friends) that he served with. If you have any information or can help please leave a comment on my blog or e-mail me. You can also contact my step mom via her blog. He's wanting to have a conversation with James Hatchett who was from Texas and Ed Trudell. These men are most likely between the ages of 55 and 64 (give or take a few years).

2 comments:

  1. thank you Misty! James was from Texas, or at least Virgil believes that is correct, and Ed was from Wichita Kansas. Both men served on the boats that ran fuel up rivers to different areas. If you have any info on either of them, you may contact me directly at kat.kerr.davis@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete